Re: [LUG] DCC FoI: software licenses used

Viv wrote:
> When I worked at the DCC for a while, I had to use Publisher (I think it
> was version 2003). This is all that the admin staff seem to have for
> doing pre-production DTP work. Staff who have to design their own
> posters, newsletters and other publications have to use this and then
> email the files to the publishing / printing arm of the DCC for production.
>
> Having just started using Scribus, I would say this is much easier /
> quicker once you get used to it.
>
> Viv

Yup, Scribus is pretty good, especially consdiering it's free.  I prefer
OpenOffice Draw myself but I have done a few bits and pieces in Scribus
and Inkscape too.

Just think too, if DCC standardised on Scribus for any new documents
(and convert any old Publisher documents to PDF) they would save a whole
load of money on licences (although knowing Microsoft I bet the cost of
licenses would be something cheap say £10 a license and they would argue
the savings wouldn't be much consdiering the time and effort to convert
hundreds and maybe thousands of Publisher files to PDF).

Rob