Re: [LUG] [OT] Libertarianism - was "Watching the results trickle in ..."

2009/6/16 Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tuesday 16 June 2009 00:31, Ralph Smithen wrote:
>> 2009/6/15 M.Blackmore <mblackmore@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> > Bad news for Open Source anyway is the final outcome, alas.
>> >
>> > Unless they are libertarians which I doubt.
>> Just in case there are any others interested in libertarianism (which
>> seems probable for FLOSS fans), I'd like to advertise a political
>> party that was founded just a year and a half ago: the Libertarian
>> Party UK.
>>
>> http://lpuk.org
>>
>> They didn't participate in the EU elections, as they favour British
>> sovereignty, but would be my only choice in our elections. Please take
>> a moment to check their manifesto out - the political party for
>> freedom advocates :)
> But they are not for freedom - they deny your right to think differently from
> them:
>
> Party membership is open to all those:...
> who are not members of any organisation whose objectives are incompatible with
> those of the Party

They do not deny anyone's rights! If you want to be a member of the
party, then you have to abide by their terms. There is no compulsion
to join.

What would you make of someone that claimed to be a member of the LUG
yet persisted in preaching the superiority of proprietary software?
Why would anyone want to do that? What is there, out of interest, in
their objectives and policies that you disagree with?

> I demand the right to be seemingly illogical - or human as some call it

A right you appear to be bravely asserting ;)