Re: [LUG] Domain registration & NI number

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009, Steph Foster wrote:
>

>> Dave Foxcroft wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I just wondered if anyone has ever been asked to provide their National
>>> Insurance number when trying to register for an domain name?
>>>
>>> I have tried to register a .it domain and have had it refused because I
>>> didn't provide a valid national security number. I questioned this and
>>> was told that it would be my NI number in the UK.
>>>
>>> I have never been asked for this for any other TLD - com/org/net etc.
>>> Anyone had similar with the likes of .de/.fr....?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>> I've never heard anything like this before
>>
>> I can only imagine maybe Italy is restricting .it domains to Italian
>> citizens ?
>>
>> I certainly wouldn't give my NI number out for this purpose
>>

> I was about to say the same, hovever I just ran a test through the company
> I use to regsiter doamins - totalregistrations and up it popped: NI
> number, date & place of birth and country...
>
> I suspect it's an Italian thing...
>
> damn.it.
>
> Gordon

This was through one.com - el cheapo hosting!

I already have the .co.uk domain and only tried to register the .it one
because the .co.uk one is managed by another company at present,I'm not
going to renew with this company but I don't want to transfer it just
yet (if that makes sense).

I'm certainly not going to risk having my identity nicked or other
hassles by providing some company with my NI number - They must have
loads of failed registration attempts

I agree - damn .it  --  more like sod .it :-)

Dave