Re: [LUG] PCW magazine to close

2009/6/12 Ray Smith <rjsmith@xxxxxxx>:

> Forth was available for the BBC on disk and on a rom chip. You just plugged
> it in. We had the speech rom ( I think featuring Kenneth Kendall the
> newsreader) and a wordprocessor for instant action.
>
> There was also a robotic arm for the beeb that was controlled with the forth
> language.
>
> Can't recall right now if that was used with the Z80 add on that linked with
> some unit called the tube which cave if full z80 and cpm.

Tried the Z80 tube 2nd processor, didn't really get on with it. Didn't
take to CPM. A friend of mine bought a Unicorn - BBC Micro with
Motorola 6800 2nd processor running Unix back in the early to mid
'80s.

Tried forth on the Beeb but never found a compelling application that
encouraged me to develop full proficiency. Tried to get into
assembler, both 6502 and eventually ARM but the same thing happened,
which rather impressively backed up the judgement of an aptitude test
I took in 1978 - the recommendation was that I might have a future in
computing but to avoid low-level languages.

So by the late '80s I was writing telecom control programs in a
language developed just for our use where we had 256 pre-named
variables and the highest level function was GOSUB.

--
Martinus Scriblerus scripsit ex 50º 21' N, 4º41' W