Re: [LUG] Mounting Partitions

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, Austin Gossmeyer wrote:

>>> How do I deduce which is the fastest?
>>
>> The hdparm command will do a gross speed test, but the best way to get it
>> faster is to not have swap, but buy more memory.
>>
> At the moment it has a gig of ram.

I'd not wory about swap.

But for the record, the hdparm command looks like:

My desktop:

# hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
  Timing cached reads:   1028 MB in  2.00 seconds = 513.29 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads:  150 MB in  3.04 seconds =  49.40 MB/sec

A remote server

# hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
  Timing cached reads:   4240 MB in  2.00 seconds = 2121.57 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads:  340 MB in  3.02 seconds = 112.71 MB/sec

A PBX flash disk:

# hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
  Timing cached reads:   430 MB in  2.01 seconds = 214.17 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads:   56 MB in  3.07 seconds =  18.25 MB/sec

The first of the 2 lines there is the raw bus transfer speed.

It's a very gross test, nothing scientific, but it's highly unlikely
you'll be able to stream any faster from the drive than you'll get from
hdparm.

Gordon