Re: [LUG] Mounting Partitions

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, Austin Gossmeyer wrote:

>> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 12:35:29 +0100
>> From: gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx
>> To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: Re: [LUG] Mounting Partitions

>>> SWGFl is our isp.
>>
>> I'm so sorry.
> Thank you I am glad I am not the only one who think they are terrible.
>
> We have also lost our connection so many times it is not funny. As I am
> the low man on the totem pole it is unlikely it will ever change. :-(

Oops.

When we were involved, it was part of the Buckfastleigh Broadband Project
- which was a govt. sponsored project in investigate the impact of
broadband in a rural community... Anyway, SWGFL were starting their
roll-out in the SW and somehow we managed to persuade them to give us a
feed from the local primary school - so we got a 2Mb link to them and from
there via the 'grid' to the outside. (We got the school pushed to the top
of the list via some creating writing, getting DIY SOS involved, etc. too
as they're mostly local to the area :)

I understood that schools had a 3-year tie-in period - primarys were
getting 2Mb and secondarys 8Mb.... By now the initial tie-in must be over,
so any small school who's paying for a lesed line when a good ADSL
connection would do must be bonkers - however there is the nice promise of
a filtered and "school safe" web feed for them....

Damn. I'm in the wrong business - again. For a few days of my time I could
create a black box solution to give a school/college 2 LANS (admin,
teaching), filtered ADSL feed, small local fileserver with backup, cost
effective PBX, outsourced email, intranet/web server, blah, blah, blah.
We're back at school servers again /rant/

Gordon