Re: [LUG] Kernel compile [Re: Kernel 2.6.30 is out ...]

On Thursday 11 June 2009 09:00, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, Tom Potts wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a piece of software to check what modules are loaded
> > and can modify the compile script so I can compile small fast kernels
> > for old machines? Or even new ones?
>
> This is essentially what I do when brining up a new system - you don't
> necessarily save that much memory though, but booting can be a lot faster
> as everything gets dumped into RAM at once.
>
> I have a quick look at what modules the standard distro has brought in,
> but mostly use lspci to find out what's under the lid, then build a kernel
> to suit. There is a lot you simply don't need to compile in either - easy
> for me to do as I've been doing it since the year dot, but harder for
> someone to come in from scratch these days though, but mistakes are just
> time consuming :)
>
> These days it's quite frustrating starting from scratch too as there are
> so many dependencies being wired in too - you find you can't disable
> something until you disable something else, which depends on something
> else, and that's a module, so everything else is modules ...
>
> Compile, install, boot. Bother. Lather rinse repeat :)
>
> But once you have the basic kernel .config file, you can use it as a
> template for just about anything else, as in reality only 3 bits of
> hardware change - disk drivers, network drivers and video drivers... (then
> once you have something that boots and runs OK, you can fine-tune other
> stuff later like the hardware monitoring, powersaving, etc.)
>
> Biggest problem I now have is getting rid of udev off a running system
> that installed it by default.
>
> Gordon
I haven't compiled a kernel in a few years - I gave up when 1/2 the options
meant nothing to me and the whole config-config script took about an hour to
go through all the option.
I seem to remember making things a lot smaller/faster many moons ago and some
of the 'optimised' kernels -netbook remix - seem to be a lot livelier and I'm
sure its not beyond the ken of someone with a little experience to write
something to check your system after a new kernel release and then build you
a kernel wot do what you need and no more.
Tom te tom te tom