Re: [LUG] Ubuntu 9.04 install.

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 18:24:46 +0100
jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Rob Beard writes:
> > jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >> I get a command line screen. It's GRUB the bootloader I think?
> >> THat describes itself as a leightweight BASH. I have no idea what
> >> to do when there. I have pulled up the 'HEPL' but it isn't
> >> much...help really..... JOn.
> >>
> > Sounds to me like it is booting so far and falling back to
> > Busybox.  Do you get the Ubuntu splash screen come up at all when
> > you try and boot from the hard disk? (I believe it should come up
> > after Grub but if it can't mount the hard drive after loading the
> > kernel it will leave you at the Busybox prompt).
> > What is the model of the laptop?
> > Rob
> ...no, no splash screen. It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro....

I had what sounds like a very similar situation recently with on of my
8.04.2 systems.  Essentially what had happened is that the partition's
UUID was incorrect - GRUB was passing control over to the "initial RAM
disk" (initrd) and that was loading (which includes busybox), but it
couldn't find "init" (it should normally be found on the partition that
is mounted as /).

I resolved it by booting from the live CD, finding out the UUID of the
partition that should be mounted as /, editing the menu.lst and fstab
entries accordingly and rebooting.

Grant.