Re: [LUG] Im moving back to windows

jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Just another thought on this. There is an 'aparent' equivilent of Ableton,
> which is 'Aurour' (which I knew about but had forgoton). I have installed
> this and the other related 'JACK' software needed and just tried to run it.
> I use a tutorial that I found on't'internet but failed to understand how to
> use it and also tried to install Ableton using WINE but it wouldn't see the
> CD that the program is on. So no progress as yet. My system now is doing
> this thing where the browser window, in any program, will maximise to the
> full size of the screen obscuring the desktop toolbar and the minimise and
> close buttons so I can't navigate out of the window...very annoying. Is this
> a known bug of Ubuntu?
> JOn.

Is the browser Firefox?

Pressing F11 puts the browser in full screen mode which sounds like what
has happened (as a matter of fact it's the same key on Internet Explorer
and Firefox on other platforms too).

With regards to the software not seeing the CD, I find wine can be a
little bit hit and miss if it needs direct access to the CD drive (for
instance low level access for CD/DVD writer software etc).

One fix I found for direct access was to type the following in a terminal:

*cd ~/.wine/dosdevices
rm d:
ln -s /media/cdrom d:
ln -s /dev/scd0 d::

*This points the virtual CD drive to the mount point for the CD drive
and also points d:: to /dev/scd0 which is the first CD/DVD drive.  Also
running winecfg from a terminal, browsing to the Windows executable
you're trying to run and then setting the Windows version to NT 4.0 may
help.

This guide might give you a few pointers...
http://www.mrbass.org/linux/ubuntu/dvdshrink/ (it is instructions for
installing and running DVD Shrink on Wine but it seems to work for other
applications too).

Anyway, hope this helps.

Rob