Re: [LUG] Conditional HTTP redirects based on URL

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 23:06:23 +0100, James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Grant wrote:
>
>> So, is it possible to redirect traffic from one web server to another
>> conditionally?  Internally the SBS machine is called "server1" and the
>> Debian machine is "server2" (catchy, ain't it?!).  I don't mind if it's
> IIS
>> redirecting all demo.domain.tld traffic to server2, or Apache2
> redirecting
>> all remote.domain.tld traffic to server1.
>
> Assuming the two servers can talk directly to each other, it's trivial
> enough to get Apache to answer all requests and proxy remote.domain.tld
> to the SBS box.  It would of course mean that you'd only ever see the
> Apache box originating traffic to the SBS box though.
>
> James

Yep, both servers can see eachother and resolve nicely.

I have the following in my vhost entry:

<VirtualHost *>
        ServerName remote.domain.tld
        RewriteEngine     On
        RewriteRule       ^(.*)$        https://192.168.1.252$1  [P]
</VirtualHost>

(I could use https://remote.domain.tld$1 since remote.domain.tld resolves
internally to the SBS machine anyway).

This does not seem to work though.  There's nothing about the Apache Proxy
in there (no <Proxy *> entries) yet as I haven't a clue (yet) how to get
them to work.

Incidentally, would it matter that the SBS box would only see traffic from
the Apache box?  As far as I'm aware the SBS box doesn't really care where
the info comes from.

Cheers.
Grant.