Re: [LUG] Updates or no!

kevin wrote:

> I advise all Windoze users to Switch off updates for just this reason.

I strongly feel you do them a disservice with this advice.

The rate of infection for older unpatched Windows boxes is so high every
email server on the planet is daily bombarded with thousands of attempts
to send dodgy emails from crooks who control networks of many tens of
thousands of PCs, many infected because people hadn't run Windows update
yet.

Sure updating carries a slight risk, but for Microsoft Windows this risk
is far less than not updating for almost all users. Windows update is
also used to distribute fixes for current threats, otherwise it is
merely a monthly update.

Microsoft's security team have the advantage of receiving information
from threats to a large number of Windows users. They don't schedule
updates lightly, as can be seen from the large number of bugs they don't
fix. They will update out of schedule if they consider the threat
sufficient. They do, unlike us, have the information available to make
this assessment, and the time available to dedicate to analysing it
appropriately.

Microsoft offer Free unlimited technical support for running Windows
update.

It is harder to make this call for other operating systems purely on the
basis of security, but I for one have spent too much of my life
discovering bugs that have already been fixed to want to waste any more
time doing it than necessary. For that fully patched Debian boxes meet
my own expectations nicely.