Re: [LUG] Updates or no!

kevin wrote:
> Can I share an experience regarding up-dates and Ubuntu Hardy
> My Daughter has an EEEPC and we have settled on Ubuntu Hardy as the
> choice of OS.   It last week did some updates and has made it's self
> "unable to mount" any usb device in normal user or using sudo
>
> So after seeing the machine gathering dust on the shelf for a week I
> asked if there was a problem and was told about the error.
>
> Looking at the Computer Section on the desktop each device gets listed
> but when you want to use them you get the same message "unable to mount
> wrong file type"!
>
> So looking in the /etc/fstab I have two cd drives listed on /dev/sdc1
> and /dev/sdc2 knowing that the EEEpc has no Cd drives commenting the
> lines out gets me usb mounting back. Easy
>
> But what if I had not been around and asked the question?  My guess she
> would have eventually gone and got another machine.
>

> Why is it common for us to fall for the continual update regime?
> I advise all Windoze users to Switch off updates for just this reason.
> I don't update any in service system unless its to get something better
> or something which wasn't achievable before.  mostly its done on a new
> disk with the system copied overso when it all goes pare shaped I revert
> to the origional and I 'am no worse off.
>
>  Do we need a roll back button on Linux now?
>
> Regards
>
> Kevin Lucas
> Minions Post Master(Sub) reprieved (possibly!)
> Po House, Minions,
> Liskeard Cornwall
> PL14 5LE
> 01579363386

I think the main difference is with ubuntu you choose to download
updates, or it will tell you what updates are avaialble and you can
choose the ones to update,  so if there is an annoucement of a security
problem in Application X, you can then update the fix and only the fix
for it, by just ticking that box, but to its credit it will pull in any
dependencies.

I guess its finding the right balance, you don't want to leave a gaping
security hole in a package but at the same time you don't want to screw
up a system due to updates.

Regarding roll back it may work, but it could introduce more issues that
it solves.  I am sure tom brough has a file system that can be used for
something similar.

I don't think you can win,   But it is getting better I am sure.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org
Next Linux User Group meet :Saturday ** June 6th ** : 3pm,  Shoreline
Cafe Paignton