Re: [LUG] Linux Certification and training

Neil Stone wrote:

> Problem with the RedHat certification is that you are reliant on a Linux
> vendor, and their specific quirks, to be able to pass the course.

On the other hand the Redhat cert is the only one I've seen regularly in
job adverts, although I dare say many employers would accept substitutes.

When I looked it did seem to be fairly Redhat specific - for full marks
you needed to know obscure options of rpm (I was thinking "man rpm"
myself was the best answer to that specific question!). Guess if you are
hiring folk to run Redhat servers it helps if they have those things at
their fingertips.

But my experience is you don't do a lot of the odd stuff very often, so
it is often better to re-read the manual even if you recall how you did
it last time. Some of the obscure Debian install stuff I've done has
changed with each release, or in some cases the prefered method has
changed even if the old way still "works". IT is like that.

 Simon