Re: [LUG] OT: Mail Preference Service

On Thursday 21 May 2009 13:44, Simon Waters wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
> > Just getting some rubbish through from Virgin who are avoiding (I think)
> > Mail Preference Service  by sending to the occupier....
> > Anyone know what to do about this - other than use their 0800 number ad
> > nauseam until they stop.
>
> Is it delivered by Royal Mail Door to Door service? You have to opt out
> of that separately, because ... urm ... the Royal Mail make too much
> money from it to voluntarily respect the wishes of home owners.
We killed several trees getting that sorted - they still forget from time to
time...

> There is a school of thought that says sending stuff back in the reply
> envelope will dissuade senders, although I think it just worsens the
> environmental impact - it does at least do it at the senders expense.
no reply envelope but an 0800 number. I make a point of not abusing the poor
souls on the other end but as I dont get out much its nice to be able to
practice my impressions on a real human!

> I'm thinking with the remaining phone marketing I get of inviting people
> around to give a quotation when we are out, or just to tell them to stop
> calling me in person when there representative arrives. I'm sure this
> approach can be adapted to the postal service.
...it doesnt take many of the above 'forgotten you didnt want this poop' to
fill a small post box!
Tom te tom te tom