Re: [LUG] Web Advertizing

kevin wrote:

> Is it a scam of some type.

I searched around first time I saw these, and they appear to be not a scam.

On the other hand they are spammers, so I don't do business with them on
principle. If you want less spam you'll do the same!

> if not I'm flattered, but how can I determine the value of an Advert on
> My (Small) site?

You need to establish click through rate for sites of your type, and
advert value.

You could bump it through Google's keyword tools, and find out what sort
of money is bid for those keywords (which tells you how much Google make
per click - you'll get less if you run ads from Google of course).

Run a few and find the click through rate, and you have a rough
approximation of value.

> I have the Apache logs which show the views but I can't be asked to look
> at them on a regular basis.  Is there a script to access the value of
> "hits" on a site?

No, hits are meaningless. You might be able to approximate a value from
a measure of unique visitors (I use "visitors" which is a handy webstat
tool), assume average click through rate and average value, but it would
be as useful as a chocolate frying pan.

I have a site with 25 visitors a day on a good day, which keeps Isaac in
baby food and nappies, and a site with 500+ visitors most days that has
never made a penny.

The prime difference is people come to the first site intending to buy
something, they come to the second intending to learn something (for
free). If they come to your site to buy stuff, or learn about buying
stuff, you can probably sell to the visitors, otherwise forget it.

I'd guess you could run ads on the DCGLUG site for months without
clicks, despite a very healthy number of visitors a day, because most of
the folk want to know "vi shortcuts" etc. One might flog a few O'Reilly
books but it probably isn't worth the effort.