From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of kevin
Sent: 17 May 2009 22:57
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Extending wireless range

The access point is used by two machines at the front of the property,
the Tearoom Pc is behind two granite walls,on the wired network, you can
get a 20% signal through a doorway but thats it.

So having another wireless point seemed like a good idea, just the
hardware to contend with at the moment.

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 19:03 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> kevin wrote:
> >
> > Can I ask which is the best (using a spare wireless card) approach to
> > extending the wireless range of my setup.
> >
> > I have a Linux PC in the Tearoom which is wired (10/100) to my ADSL
> > Router
> >
> > The router is wireless but the signal is weak.  I have a spare Wireless
> > NW Card which I could fit in the PC and then "Bridge" to the wired to
> > achieve wireless for my Tearoom guests.
>
> Without knowing location, and network topology it is hard to comment.
>
> What sort of antenna is on the wireless access point?
>
> Have you checked the access point settings to see if the power is
> configurable?
>
> Have you positioned the access point where it has good line-of-sight to
> most of the tea room (most folk fix them high up on a wall)?
>
> When I wanted good access here, I stuck the Access Point's external
> antenna on my upstairs office window sill, and the neighbours behind
> commented a few months  later asking why they got better signal from my
> wireless than his own access point despite being 80+ yards away with a
> sprinkling of vegetation in the way.
>
> > Should I be looking at creating an "Access Point" or just setting up a
> > "Bridge" what do you think?
>
> Do you expect people to roam between both devices?

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub) reprieved (possibly!)
Po House, Minions,
Liskeard Cornwall
PL14 5LE
01579363386