Re: [LUG] Printer problem on Ubuntu Intrepid server

I have found the version of driver makes all the difference if you
originally got up to 20% of the test page sent.

see the printer logs?
# tail -30 /var/log/cups/error_log

should get you  in the right place

if the job is flushed the the driver is wrong try another..

I have a lot of joy from the {PrinterName)}Foomatic/hpijs for many
parallel connected laser printers.
you can set this on the Admin page.

https://192.168.0.20:631/admin gets me to mine. Need https though.
you can see this from a network machine rather than use W3m

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 12:19 +0100, Jason Witcher wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have set up an old machine (PIII500) running Ubuntu Intrepid server
> version. During the install I included Samba as I want to use it as a
> file and print server - I can now browse from elsewhere in the network
> to my home folder, so I know that element is working. However, I am
> having issues with setting up printing.
> I've plugged the printer into one of the USB ports and, using w3m,
> browsed to http://localhost:631. It picks up the printer, recognises
> it as an HP OfficeJet G55, and lists the driver as 'HP OfficeJet G55 -
> CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.0-rc1'. I've given it the name 'HP' and all seems
> fine, however when I try to print a test page it comes up "Printing
> page 1, 20%" and goes no further.
> Also, if I try to find the printer from a Windows machine it does not
> show up - I think I've probably messed around with the smb.conf file
> too much after extensive googling. The relevant parts are as follows:
> ########## Printing ##########
>
> # If you want to automatically load your printer list rather
> # than setting them up individually then you'll need this
>    load printers = no
>
> # lpr(ng) printing. You may wish to override the location of the
> # printcap file
> ;   printing = bsd
>    printcap name = /etc/printcap
>
> # CUPS printing.  See also the cupsaddsmb(8) manpage in the
> # cupsys-client package.
>    printing = cups
>    printcap name = cups
>

> and
>

> [printers]
>    comment = All Printers
>    browseable = yes
>    printable = yes
>    printing = cups
>    printer = HP
>    print command = /usr/bin/lpr -b -P%p -r %s
>    lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
>    lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
>    path = /var/spool/samba
>    min print space = 2000
>
> # Windows clients look for this share name as a source of downloadable
> # printer drivers
> [print$]
>    comment = Printer Drivers
>    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
>    browseable = yes
>    read only = yes
>    guest ok = no
>

> Any help will be very gratefully received!
> Jason

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub) reprieved (possibly!)
Po House, Minions,
Liskeard Cornwall
PL14 5LE
01579363386