Re: [LUG] Music CD Database

kevin wrote:
> Is
> http://projects.gnome.org/rhythmbox/
>
> what you need?
>
> Or don't you want to stream the CD's.
>
> I have seen a perl script which used the bar code from the CD to look
> up the Cddb database and display it in a form.
> but as usual failed to note where is was ( possibly in a copy of Linux
> Mag or Linux Developer) It used a bar code scanner (usb) which costs
> about £30

Just had a thought.  If all the CDs had been ripped and their details
stored in the player's database, would it be possible to export/convert
that database into something that could be made searchable?  I'm
thinking for example:

1.  All CDs listed in the database on screen with all details required
displayed.
2.  Cut and paste into an Open Office spreadsheet.
3.  Export as a CSV.
    a) split one half into a CD Info CSV
    b) other half into a Track Info CSV
4.  Create tables in an SQL database.
5.  Use the CSVs as the source data.

Not very user friendly in the first instance, but at least it would then
be in a searchable database for which a proper front-end could be written.

I don't know how easy/if possible this would be but the theory is OK....
provided it doesn't meet TH Huxley running the other way ;)

Kind regards,

Julian