Re: [LUG] Giving away copies of Ubuntu & OpenDisc on Freecycle

Hi Rob,

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 09:41:41AM +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm a member of the Torbay & South Devon Freecycle list and I noticed
> recently there has been a request from someone for a Windows XP Disc &
> license key.  Now I have the feeling that they have not much chance of
> getting XP unless someone is willing to give away a retail boxed copy
> (these are the only ones where the licence is transferable to another
> machine).

I think that once used, Microsoft say it's not legal to transfer.
But it's not been proven in court.

> Now I was thinking, would it be okay to give away some Ubuntu & OpenDisc
> CDs on Freecycle?

I think in reality in both cases it will be totally down to the
opinion of the admin for that group.  I have seen some very
arbitrary rules imposed, and there doesn't really appear to be any
standard appeal mechanism.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB