[LUG] Screen shot with emails

I have taken some screen shots via the PrtScn button, which brings up
KSnapshot. This worked well. Now I need to include them in an attachment
in an email.

I have looked at the files of the screenshots and they are not very big,
  ranging from 31 to 94 Kb. I have included two of them in a letter
which was created in Open Office Writer and saved as a doc file. All the
intended recipients will, no doubt, be using Windows.

The resulting doc file is 2.9 Mb, which surprised me, and the email with
the attached file takes ages to send. (I tested it by sending it to myself.)

There must be a better way to do this. Can anyone suggest how I could do
this in a way that will result in a smaller file which can still be read
by anyone using any OS and which will be quick to send?

TIA

Neil Winchurst