Re: [LUG] School Server

Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi All
>
> 2009/4/28 Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> So can we respond to this please? Firstly is it possible to create a
>> server that updates itself? Secondly, is there anyway we can encourage
>> her to look at different systems? Any thoughts would be welcome -
>> thanks.
>>
> Thanks for all the responses. I haven't talked to the school direct
> but having had a look at the rm.com site the competition could be
> tough. This is pasted from their site:
> "Software maintenance for Primary Schools 1yr
> Improve & protect your RM network with service releases & software updates
> Part No. 14B-006
>  List Price: £325.00"
>
> That to my mind is not that hard to beat. But I can't get a price on
> the call-out options or phone options.

Sounds to me that just covers updates on the RM software.  I doubt they
would make any money charging that if they had someone actually doing
anything than just configuring updates.
> I think I'm not asking the question with this specific school in mind,
> maybe it's more of actually rm have this hold, what can be offered to
> break the hold?
>
> Questions, questions, questions:
> 1. What do they need s server for?
> a. Monitor internet, serve files, serve software....
> (any others)

I'd say it's probably at least providing home directories for users
(both staff and students) with quotas enabled to stop them using too
much space (which can be done with Samba to Windows machines or NFS on
*nix boxes/Macs), internet connection sharing and content restriction to
block dodgy sites (this can be done with DansGuardian or Squidguard),
e-mail accounts for each student (again this can be done with a variety
of e-mail servers), probably some sort of LDAP directory.

With an LTSP server they could reuse old machines as clients, even if
they so desired configure rdesktop on the machines so they can connect
to a Windows Server running Terminal Services.

> 2. How do you keep that server updated?

Well cron-apt would be one solution.  Not sure about RedHat based
servers but I presume there is something similar for YUM/RPM.
> 3. How do you then connect to the server and set-up connection at school end?

Well the school should have some sort of infrastructure already there.
I'd be pretty certain they would at least have CAT5 networking in the
building going back to a central location (or in the case of sites where
there are multiple buildings, probably network cabinets where the CAT5
goes and then some sort of connection back to the main server room).

The server should connect in to the main network somehow.  I'd guess
they would use something like Gigabit networking at least for the server
(possibly even teamed ports or multiple network cards).

With regards to connecting to the server, this could be done via SSH
(you could either get a terminal session via SSH or tunnel something
like VNC or FreeNX over SSH) and if all else fails a serial modem
attached to a standard phone line could be put in.
> There are probably other questions in terms of the server. But is it
> possible for a server to be set-up and take it to the school and let
> them loose with it.

I'd say it would be better to setup the server on site.  But yes it
could be done.
> I'm troubled by the ease at which a school simply accepts that rm is
> the way to go. No questions on what else. The support they get from
> other sources are appalling. Last year the heads computer died just
> before reports etc had to be out. Her support team said bad luck
> you've lost all your data. I teach IT at the school and happened to
> arrive at that point to see her in tears. To cut a short story long I
> popped home and grabbed a hard drive cable, connected it to my laptop
> via usb and dragged all her data off the hard drive and handed it over
> on a stick. Big smiles and huge relief.

That really is lousy support.  The problem is they know RM and RM is
trusted.  They were using RM when I was at secondary school back in 1989
with their crappy badly locked down systems but still they choose them.
I'm not sure who makes the decisions overall to go for RM but I wouldn't
be surprised if they have some sort of commercial interests?

I gather that schools are told to go for the approved suppliers or they
are on their own.
> At the end of the day I'm wondering whether Linux is ready to tackle RM?

Yes I think Linux as an operating system is IF (BIG IF) there is someone
to provide the support.  It's probably too much for a small support
company to take on but I dare say there is room for the big companies
(RedHat, Sirius, IBM etc) to provide an alternative to RM.  On the other
hand if the school technicians have the time to implement Linux then
maybe that is another way in but from what I gather, 95% of technicians
are probably Windows only and those who have an interest either don't
have the time to implement something or don't have the power to make the
decision anyway.

Rob