Re: [LUG] School Server

Paul Sutton wrote:

> Richard Brown wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> I had a chat with a school head yesterday who is once again investing
>> in RM technology. I have tried to persuade her otherwise but her
>> reasons cannot be disputed with. Namely that the support is full. If
>> it breaks down someone comes and fixes it. If it needs updating the
>> computer automatically updates. She doesn't have to do anything to the
>> server - it just works.
>>
>> So can we respond to this please? Firstly is it possible to create a
>> server that updates itself? Secondly, is there anyway we can encourage
>> her to look at different systems? Any thoughts would be welcome -
>> thanks.
>>
> You need to provide 24/7 technical support and a service that is
> equivelent to what RM are offering. Oh and provide it at the right price.

Actually I doubt they would need 24/7 support, probably school ours with
maybe a few 'extra hours' for out of hours stuff for those jobs that
can't be done during school time.  I mean I'm sure it's not an emergency
if someone can't get their e-mail at 2am.

But matching RM's price at least preferably beating it and offering the
same service really would be of benefit for them to consider it.  From a
customers point of view I guess they'd look at the fact, if it works why
bother changing it for the unknown.
> Please also remember schools are tied in to the sims admnin packagfe,
> so they need windows for that.

They could in theory run Linux on the server and have entirely Windows
based desktops across the school.  Or maybe they could run Linux on the
desktop and have a couple of Windows terminal servers running the
Windows specific stuff (maybe one server for admin stuff and one or two
servers depending on load for student apps such as those pesky
educational games which won't run via Wine).
> unless you are prepared to do volunteer work in school and work with the
> school with regard to tech support.

Yup as the schools can't generally afford much.
> there are companies out there that provide support and services for
> schools using open source software. Perhaps look in to those, i think
> one is called sirius IT (not sure can anyone help here)

Well their web site is here: http://www.siriusit.co.uk/

IIRC the director has some involvement with the Open Source Consortium.

Rob