Re: [LUG] Adding your own logs to /var/log?

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If I make my script log to files in a new directory in /var/log, will
> they get archived as a matter of routine by logrotate?  Or do I have to
> tell logrotate what needs archiving?

You probably need to tell logrotate unless your distro has a logroate
rule that contains /var/log/*

most distros use /etc/logrotate.d/ for package config files to just be
dropped in for each log with system global settings in
/etc/logrorate.conf. If you look at some of the files in
/etc/logrotate.d/ you will see they all start with the logs to effect
eg :-

/var/log/cups/*.log {
}

regards