Re: [LUG] Question about the list archiving ?

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Grant Sewell wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 22:08:34 +0100 (BST)
> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Steph Foster wrote:
>>
>>> If the list is publicly archived are our email addresses anonymized
>>> before this happens ?
>>>
>>> Just wondering as that could be bad if a spambot got hold of them
>>> all ?
>>
>> I've had the same email address since 1995. I've stopped caring about
>> the spammers getting my email address as they've already got it and
>> just deal with it.
>>
>> Gordon
>
> Ditto... almost.
>
> To be honest, I tend not to bother using any fancy SPAM filters these
> days.  Rather than filtering out what I don't want, I now filter in
> what I do want, and even that is nice and simple.

Interesting approach. I'm using greylisting and spamasasian (via
mimedefang) which catches over 99% of them currently. The dozen or so that
do get through every day are trivially spotted in my inbox...

Greylisting is rejecting over 95% of all spam that goes through my
servers, so although it's sometimes a PITA (delay on getting email
conformations, etc.) I feel it's worth it.

> If I sign up for something, I use their name infront of the @ symbol.
> I then add them to my filter list, directing their mail to a folder
> purely for them.  Everything I do want gets filtered in this way, so
> everything else just gets left in the Inbox.  Every so often I will
> have a cursory look through it all to see if there's anything I've
> missed.

I use the +label in email addresses - see this one, although a lot of
places reject them as invalid email addresses, even though they are
perfectly valid. There's a spotty microsoft kid out there who thought he
knew what a valid email address is to blame for this, I reckon...

One thing I do find annoying is the number of people who cry and whinge
when they get more than 5 emails a day - I run several mailing lists for
various things - get a "hot toppic" with a high number of posts a day and
the unsubscribe requests soar!

Gordon