Re: [LUG] Help controlling network

Steph Foster wrote:

> Well I agree you aren't responsible for other peoples actions but you
> have to persuade the police that it was somebody else when / if they
> come knocking on your door.

Given what it takes to get the Police to investigate IT based crime, it
would have to be something pretty dramatic I suspect.

Look at it this way, 140,000 PCs connected to our mail servers and
attempted to con our clients out of money with various phishing scams
this week, and (visible) police activity against this is zilch.

The McColo take down reduced global spam significantly. Is estimated to
have been involved in ~500,000 incidents of fraud, and so far as I know
not a single arrest. The "take down" was done by ISPs working together.

Okay that was in the US, but the situation isn't any better here. These
days BT Ignite is the source of much of our spam at work, most of it
doesn't seem to be obviously fraudulent, but I bet some of it is.

McColo is not unconnected, a substantial number of those phishing bots
are Cutwail, which was one of the bot nets previously run out of McColo.

Of all the crap I've dealt with at work with my "abuse@" hat on, the
only things that have prompted official UK interest, was one pharmacy
site (which occurred only when the MHRA desperately needed a good
headline, after the news was full of rotten body parts), and one active
investigation (for petty crime, and is probably the least important
thing the police could be using their investigative powers to address).

Sure this stuff is difficult to track down, but it ain't that hard (the
Journalist who exposed McColo (Brian Kreb) did the journalist things of
working up from the Post room, so not exactly some technical guru before
joining Newsbytes.com, but he knows how to investigate.

> I'm sure they wouldn't be easily convinced and would likely seize your
> computers first and ask questions after.
>
> Is it really worth the possible aggro ?

Lots of folk run open access points. I did for a long time, and may do
again. Certainly when I have bunches of techies over I disable
encryption, and they are the most suspect of the lot, as they know what
they are doing!

There is the opposite point of view - plausible deniability, that if
your access point is locked down, the police will assume anything bad
(their definition not yours) that happens was you (or someone in your
house), even if it wasn't.

Worst case - keep the DHCP log, and if the police call give them the MAC
address of the offending machine.

That said if folks were abusing the privilege I'd just pull it, or
blacklist them.

But statistics without redirecting the traffic - would depend on what
the switch (or router) can report, or detailed topology. Many WAP will
report bandwidth since connected in various forms, might be able to pull
it off by SMTP or similar, but sounds like a lot of work for no gain.

 Simon