Re: [LUG] Help controlling network

trewornan wrote:
> I've got a fairly basic network - internet router, wireless AP, Switch and a few
> computers (my PC, my laptop, housemates laptop). I leave my wireless AP open so
> that others can use it if they need to.
>
> The other day I noticed some heavy usage  on the router and discovered that
> someone was connected and using a considerable bandwidth - some nmapping,
> arpspoofing and wiresharking revealed three "unknown" MACs connected to the AP one
> of which I believe was downloading a bittorrent.
>
> I've no problem with people using my connection for a bit of browsing or
> downloading email but as far as I'm concerned a large, high bandwidth bittorrent
> is abusing the privilege so I blocked that MAC for 24 hours. Subsequently it
> hasn't resumed the connection.
>
> However I now think I ought to keep a tighter rein on things and want to monitor
> usage of the network. Is there any way to keep a log of usage statistics per IP
> address on a switched network? Ideally without having to use arpspoof and reroute
> all network traffic through my PC.

Why not consider setting up something like Monwall's captive portal -
you can then still leave your AP wide open but anyone connecting through
it would need an account set up to access anything.

All you need is a low spec PC with a couple of nics in it, you dont even
need a HDD in it if you use an CF->IDE adapter and CF card - I had one
set up for about 3 years allowing my neighbours access to the internet
before they all got their own connections and never had any issues.

Google "setting up a wireless captive portal" there is plenty of
material out there :)

Dave