Re: [LUG] dont run windows anywhere ever

Tom Potts wrote:
> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/790/1051790/windows-key-hacking-os

I think we might more correctly title this "don't use immature
virtualization technologies".

I'm interested if anyone has a no nonsense virtualization solution that
they trust.

I have UML - which sucks.

I've got a VZ host, and discovered it wouldn't run one of the apps I
wanted efficiently (to do with memory mapped files).

QEMU is presumably complete, but I've had issues making it work with the
host systems screen/keyboard/mouse combination. Clearly it isn't working
with these things at the right level if it needs to worry about such
details.

The best I've seen was Virtual PC images Microsoft shipped as Browser
testing environments, where you can fire up IE8 on Vista inside Windows
XP, and see if your web app works as expected. But I never tried
anything complicated (beyond what runs in a browser), so no idea how
performance compares.

I haven't tried Xen, or a load of others in serious test mode.

  Simon