Re: [LUG] OT: Broken Windows Server... hahaha

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:04:29 +0100
Rob Beard wrote:

> Grant Sewell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Well, today was the first instalment of Microsoft Windows Server
> > terror at work.  SBS 2008 - a routine set of "security" updates
> > from Microsoft were applied last night.  This morning, when I came
> > into the office, the machine was stuck on "Configuring Updates -
> > Stage 3 of 3 - 0%".
> >
> > Apparently this is a well known issue and has happened with a
> > number of updates on a number of the Vista family of systems.
> >
> > By the look on some of their faces, I don't think they were too
> > pleased with my "Well, I did recommend going for a Linux server"
> > comments.
> >
> > *sigh*
> >
> > Back to trying to fix the bugger.
> >
> > Grant.
> >

> LMAO!
>
> I do feel sorry for you, I bet it's like banging your head against a
> brick wall.  I hate doing Windows Updates on two of the servers that
> I support, they generally take a good 15 to 30 minutes to reboot
> after the updates (even one of the servers is a Quad Core Xeon at
> about 2.3GHz) whereas on the other hand my Ubuntu server at home only
> takes about 5 minutes tops to reboot (that's assuming I need to
> reboot it) and my SME Server generally only takes about 2 minutes to
> reboot after an update.
>
> I'm currently going through a battle to get a Linux server installed
> at one of my clients.  One of the bosses says go ahead with it (they
> can see the advantages of saving a wad of cash on a Windows Server)
> whereas the other boss (with the final say) is saying let's see what
> the competition can offer (I'm guessing it'll be a Windows Server at
> more like £1500).
>
> Rob

I gave them lots of documentation about Ubuntu (although I was
thinking more of Debian... but I couldn't find any 'management
friendly' documentation regarding Debian) and some details of SME.  I
showed them the the kind of specifications we would be looking at for
my proposed Linux server, and then for the Windows SB Server, I showed
them the cost savings, the time savings, the management savings, etc.

Still they wanted a Windows server with the excuse "a custom server
sounds good, but we need something that can be managed by someone else
in case you leave or are involved in an accident".  I really should
have pointed out that they're running a completely custom built CRM
system already, not to mention a number of other "key" services.

Grrr.

Grant.