Re: [LUG] OT: Broken Windows Server... hahaha

Grant Sewell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Well, today was the first instalment of Microsoft Windows Server terror
> at work.  SBS 2008 - a routine set of "security" updates from Microsoft
> were applied last night.  This morning, when I came into the office,
> the machine was stuck on "Configuring Updates - Stage 3 of 3 - 0%".
>
> Apparently this is a well known issue and has happened with a number of
> updates on a number of the Vista family of systems.
>
> By the look on some of their faces, I don't think they were too pleased
> with my "Well, I did recommend going for a Linux server" comments.
>
> *sigh*
>
> Back to trying to fix the bugger.
>
> Grant.

LMAO!

I do feel sorry for you, I bet it's like banging your head against a
brick wall.  I hate doing Windows Updates on two of the servers that I
support, they generally take a good 15 to 30 minutes to reboot after the
updates (even one of the servers is a Quad Core Xeon at about 2.3GHz)
whereas on the other hand my Ubuntu server at home only takes about 5
minutes tops to reboot (that's assuming I need to reboot it) and my SME
Server generally only takes about 2 minutes to reboot after an update.

I'm currently going through a battle to get a Linux server installed at
one of my clients.  One of the bosses says go ahead with it (they can
see the advantages of saving a wad of cash on a Windows Server) whereas
the other boss (with the final say) is saying let's see what the
competition can offer (I'm guessing it'll be a Windows Server at more
like £1500).

Rob