Re: [LUG] Creating a web site

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I have a little experience with HTML and CSS. I have already set up a
> couple of web sites by typing in the code. The problem is that it is
> very tedious and open to typing errors, which can be difficult to find.
>
> I thought to look at some of the development packages including
> Bluefish, Amaya, Komposer, Quanta Plus. No doubt there are others. These
> seem rather too involved for what I need. (Or perhaps I need to give
> some more time to it.) What I am really looking for is a simple program
> to save me some of the typing, and so avoid typos.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations, comments etc?

What type of website, what does it do, who will write the content, how
will it change, who will read it, and why?

$DAYJOB is helping create and maintain website building tools, but there
 are a whole host of ways of creating websites.

For all but a few designers, I'd have thought writing HTML by hand is
probably the worst of the lot. If you can do the design, and CSS, then
the approach works and can create small pretty websites. If you do the
layout in CSS, then the content can readily be written using Abiword, or
other word processor with sensible HTML export features. The approach
(hand crafted) makes a certain amount of sense when you are stitching
together a load of disparate units and trying to create a cohesive
whole, but even then some of the content management systems do a better job.

If folks just want to create the content, and leave layout and design to
someone else, then you want a template based system, be it a CMS or
something else.