Re: [LUG] Billing/Invoice formats

On Saturday 28 March 2009 07:41, Simon Waters wrote:

> Tom Potts wrote:

> > I'm probably repeating myself here but...

> > Does anyone know of OPEN xml standards for billing/invoicing/financial

> > stuff so I can try and persuade people that I do transactions with to

> > send/recieve this stuff and push/pull it stright from my various packages

> > and and not have to go through billions of receipts - or worse print out

> > Pointless Document Format invoices and then type them in again!

> > Or failing that anyone want to help define some simple formats we can all

> > use?

> EDI predates the XML vogue, but was widely used last time I did this

> sort of thing.

At least it worked! I've known companies who've spent fortunes on new systems when all they had to do was exchange their old EDI documents over the web rather than the ole PAD which was ludicrously expensive but free compared with the modrn solution.

> I believe there are now XML based versions, and Perl modules to do EDI

> to XML, and other such unexciting changes.

> But I may be living in the dark ages of such things, since it is a long

> time since I constructed an EDI message.

bring back Kermit!

> Neil/Henry/others may be able to advise on other formats for more

> financial stuff.

There is a thing called XBRL but I cant find any examples of things like invoices or receipts. Xstensible Business REPORTING Language.

> I suspect "what others already support" is always going to be favourite

> - so ask them.....

I'm going to be asking IT-primitives - MS users and users of proprietary accounts packages that will have myopic views of the requirements and the desire to live in small cages.

> One can of course send and receive invoices by email, as long as one

> adheres to the usual requirements for invoicing, which at least cuts out

> the paper. One may wish to digitally sign them as well.

That would be a 'higher' level part and fairly well explored already

I think it shouldnt be too hard to knock up a simple definition that would would work in most cases.

Tom te tom te tom