Re: [LUG] C++ Questions?

On Thursday 19 March 2009 10:00, Anthony Williams wrote:
> * have the GUI auto-upgrade, so the GUI always has the latest logic
> * Use a web-based UI and keep the logic in the web backend (e.g. Java
> Servlets)
> * Use RPC mechanisms to call server-side code from the GUI
> * Code the GUI as part of the database (e.g Oracle Forms)
I've always find 'RADs' are invariably fine for non-enterprise level stuff but
end up getting in the way and cause other problems at a later date.
While GUI auto-upgrades sound fine they interupt service too much and when
they fail....
Defining object interfaces fairly well near the start of the project is always
seems to be thes best. Add a couple of unused arguments to stored procedures
and you can modify the DB and the stored procedure without touching a
customer facing GUI and test live to ones hearts content in-house and update
the page as and when.
I avoid RPC calls from the GUI - you can do that from the DB and if its part
of the business logic thats where it should be - GUI's are really a to keep
people who dont know what they're doing happy, oh and maybe showing managers
those pretty diagrams they pretend to understand.  If you think theres a
problem with that get your system to talk to mine about it.
Tom te tom te tom