Re: [LUG] C++ Questions?

I'm certainly not a software guru but I hope this might help

Sam Grabham wrote:

> In C++ how should you use and include resource file (.rc) for multi
> lang support for a GUI support?
I guess it depends on whether you are developing for Windows or a POSIX
system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Header_files

> are the compiled object files the same as dll's?
As far as I am aware dll's (Dynamicly Linked Libraries) enable you to
put code for functions that you call regularly into a library.
The advantage being that if you need to change anything in that
particular function you only need to recompile the dll and not the
entire program

Also if you use the same function in multiple applications you dont need
to compile it into each app monolithically , hence code re-use and a
graceful style

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/dll.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic-link_library

Compiled object files are not the same as dll's
object code is linked together into a monolithic program at the linking
stage of the build process

I believe you have to be very specific if you want to compile a function
into a dll

> and can you ref them into you compiled exe, In Lunix or windows?

I've never heard of Linux referencing Windows dll's

Why would you want to ?

Linux has its own ways of referencing libraries

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LibraryArchives-StaticAndDynamic.html

Steph