Re: [LUG] Talking of Ubuntu...

James Fidell wrote:

> Anyone care to share thoughts on how easy lifelong Windows users find
> Ubuntu to pick up and just "get on with doing stuff"

Very easy once one sheds one's prejudices. Especially if you configure
it in a familiar fashion.

> (IM clients are another thing she uses a lot from the laptop).

Which, and how? Some are pretty weak under GNU/Linux, but if she isn't
using voice or video, or she only used those in something that does run
on Linux (Skype?), then it'll be fine.

> Of the many and varied
> distributions, is it likely to be the "best" choice in this situation?

I'm a die hard Debian fan, but then I mostly do servers.

Desktops for me has to be Debian, because I know a little about how it
works. But I think whatever you can support best, as long as it isn't
too obscure is the way to go.

If visual familiarity is important, you can get some very XP like themes
for KDE.