[LUG] Talking of Ubuntu...

...as people were in another thread just now.

My wife's laptop is becoming increasingly unstable running XP.  She's
loathe to use anything else though as she's used successive flavours
of Windows in all her jobs pretty much forever and it's just really
deeply ingrained.  She will use Firefox happily, but getting her to
use Thunderbird and OpenOffice when she's used to Outlook and MS Office
is an uphill struggle.  I might try telling her that god kills a kitten
every time someone opens a Word or Excel document :)

The kids share a desktop running XP that she could use when she's
desperate, so I'm thinking of completely replacing XP on the lapdog
with Ubuntu for those times when you absolutely, positively have to
use Google from the sofa (or do the Tesco order).

Anyone care to share thoughts on how easy lifelong Windows users find
Ubuntu to pick up and just "get on with doing stuff" (IM clients are
another thing she uses a lot from the laptop).  Of the many and varied
distributions, is it likely to be the "best" choice in this situation?

James