Re: [LUG] How many do you understand?

Lol - ja l like that. bit out of my knowledge base - i am one of the next gen that dont learn that - sigh and damn you modern education!!!

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:30:44 +0000
Dan Lewis wrote:

> got the rest but...
>
> > * Why do programmers get Halloween and
> >   Christmas confused? Because Oct 31 = Dec 25.
> No clue
>
> Oh dear branded like the rest "geek for life"
>
> can someone explain this to me - i really want to know now!!!
> danlewis.ltd@xxxxxxxxx

Decimal is a counting system that uses 10 digits: 0, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9.
When 9 is reached, you increase the value of the higher order and reset
the current order to 0: 9+1 = 10

Octal is a counting system that uses 8 digits: 0, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.
When 7 is reached, you increase the value of the higher order and reset
the current order to 0: 7+1 = 10

Note that is you convert Octal 10 into Decimal you get 8, as 7+1 in
Decimal is 8.

So, if you convert Octal 31 into Decimal you get 25:
Oct 31 = Dec 25.

Grant.

--

Ani DiFranco  - "Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV."