Re: [LUG] Free Linux Format PDF

Paul Sutton wrote:

> jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Tom Potts writes:

>>> PDF,ZIP, very expensive mag about free software...
>>> doesn't sound inaproprietary to me...
>>> Tom te tom te tom
>>>

>> ..I just downloaded it and apparently it's a torrent file?
>> Jon
>>

> i dragged / dropped it into ktorrent,  however despite the good
> intentions of linux format people not to have people copy it,  once
> downloaded it auto seeds.
>
> perhaps they should have simply had a pdf download.
>
> Paul

Yes that's exactly how Bit Torrent works.

The idea is you seed as much as you have downloaded (or if you're nice,
more than you have downloaded).

For something like this I could see it would save them a whole load of
money on bandwidth.  At the moment there appears to be 1820 seeds, so
that's about 220GB transferred (that's the hi-res 124MB PDF).  That's a
whole lotta bandwidth which ain't cheap.  Sure Google and Microsoft etc
might be able to handle that amount of traffic but I doubt a publisher
such as Future Publishing could spare the resources to give that away
for free.

Rob