Re: [LUG] Arghhh! I keep killing motherboards...

Paul Sutton writes:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>> On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
<snip>doesn't load the OS so I try to hook a CD ROM up to the system and it
kills
> You can get weird things happening if you plug in IDE cables the wrong way
> round - which, despite the identifying lugs and pins is still possible to
>>> do...
>>> Gordon
Hi, Gordon, yes I have identified a cable that is faulty and was causing
problems. It took a lot of trial and error and time...Plus, like you said I
think I might have been pluging the lugless one in the wrong way around...
>> Yup, I have a couple of IDE cables kicking around that are missing lugs
>> and it's so easy to get them the wrong way around.  I'd suggest try
>> disconnecting everything (drives, cables, extra cards etc) and plug in
>> the bare minimum (CPU, memory, power, video) and see if that works.  You
>> could also try resetting the CMOS, sometimes that can help.
> One side of the ide lead is red, this sometimes goes on the connector so
> the red end is nearest to the power connector, doesn't apply in all
> situations but can be helpful
> Paul
>> It kind of reminds me when I worked at eBuyer.  They had a load of
>> boards sent back by customers which were supposedly not working.  Turned
>> out they had the CMOS jumpers set to clear.
>> At least you haven't done the silly thing I did once, plugging a SCSI
>> hard drive into an IDE cable my mistake.  Let's just say the puff of
>> smoke coming out the drive was not a good sign.
>> Rob
> Paul Sutton
> www.zleap.net
> Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
> http://www.odfalliance.org
> Next Linux User Group meet : March 7th : 3pm,  Shoreline Cafe Paignton
CMOS jumper set to clear?...ok will check for this aswell.
Cheers, Jon