[LUG] Arghhh! I keep killing motherboards...

OK, I have just moved and taken my computer set-up plus about four other
boards I have aquired along the way. I set up the board that I was
using...nothing. I set up one of the other random boards and it posts but
doesn't load the OS so I try to hook a CD ROM up to the system and it kills
it....The same thing happens with another board with a different CD drive as
I thought it was the drive that killed it.
   Adding a CD drive to an IDE cable shouldn't stop a Motherboard from
working, should it?...what's going wrong here? Ahh! I've turned into a
computer killer!!!
Jon