Re: [LUG] Process that can't be killed

Martijn Grooten wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On SuSE 10 machine, a process (a bash shell) that has been (in)active
> for about 8 days can not be killed: Killing it, even as root, doesn't
> kill the process (but doesn't give an error either). Worse, the ghost
> process causes 'ps aux' to hang in such a way that the terminal window
> can't do anything (and needs to be killed) and the same happens when I
> try to access /proc/<pid>.

How did you try and kill it?

"As root" shouldn't make any difference the owner should be able to kill it.

Try sending a SIGKILL (kill -9).

If that doesn't work try killing the parent process (unless it is init)
if appropriate. Often prodding the parent process is sufficient to get
it to deal with difficult children, since it may be in an odd state
(asleep, stopped) and prodding in this context is jobs control if it was
launched from a shell, or manually asking it to resume (SIGCONT).

There is always rebooting, but I've only had one process in the last
(cough) years that I couldn't kill any other way on Linux, and that was
probably just my ignorance (if we ignore Redhat malware clean-ups circa 7.0.