Re: [LUG] [ubuntu-uk] Help get Windows out of schools

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Dave Foxcroft wrote:

>> Aparently primnary schools are forced to use MS office so the children
>> are ready for what is used in Secondary schools which is I guess a fair
>> argument i guess.  And i guess secondaries feel obliged to use MS office
>> as they see it as "industry standard."
>>
> My kids primary use Open Office - only the staff use MS Office and they
> also use linux on a couple of their file servers!

One of my (telephony) clients, a charity/independent school near
Dartington uses Linux in their admin office, (they run some diskless thin
client system -edubuntu? - off a main server) but the accounts people have
XP boxes running Sage.

They're not hot on computers at all, being the school they are but do have
to teach national curriculum, but I've actually no idea what they're using
for that - all I know is that it's in a separate building with it's own
ADSL connection!

Must ask them next time I visit...

Gordon