[LUG] rsync exclude and sshfs mount point

Trying to rsync a home directory for backup purposes as root, which has
a user sshfs mount point in.

Currently it gets an I/O error on the sshfs mount point.

If rsync encounters an I/O error it disables deletions -- so files are
accumulating.

You can get rsync to ignore I/O errors and delete anyway, but that
sounds like a VERY bad idea for backing up this folder, since if the
disk fails I might want to use the copy, rather than delete it!

You write a convoluted script to unmount, and then remount, but that has
several issues (not least I need to know the password to use and store
it somewhere, or switch the mount to a password free SSH key based system).

I'm doing "rsync -av --delete --exclude /home/user/sshfsmount /home/user
remoteuser@remotehost:/backupdir"

Can I do this with a better exclude statement?
My manual reading foo is clearly weak today.