Re: [LUG] Shrinking Debian...

Grant Sewell wrote:

> Is there a way to quickly and easily remove all "extra" packages (and
> their associated files) from a Debian system and bring it back to a
> state where it might-as-well have "just been installed"?

If you have a machine with the state you want you could use "dpkg
--set-selections" and "dpkg --get-selections", but I'm not sure the
original package list is explicitly stored anywhere.

And "just been installed" is a tad vague - I mean I sometimes install
Debian and select no additional packages at all, so I get the base
system only.

Original state might be derivable from log files, or from package state
if you always used the same tool for installing stuff (aptitude).

Alternatively I dare say aptitude (with tasksel for simplicity) can be
used to reduce Debian to required packages only, or some other subset.
If you just want any small install like the initial state.

What are you trying to achieve by doing this?

 Simon