Re: [LUG] Exwick Community Centre LTSP Pictures

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>

>> Yeah that's fine by me, I put them on my Flickr account as it was the
>> quickest way of getting them online.  By the way, appologies if my
>> messages are coming through in HTML format at the moment.  I'm using
>> Thunderbird on my other half's PC at the moment (I couldn't get on with
>> Kubuntu which I tried earlier, it's pretty but I just can't get on with
>> it so tomorrow I'll be sticking Ubuntu back on my laptop).
>>
>> Rob
>>

> I can't believe that you said that. How can anyone prefer Gnome to Kde?
>
> OK, not serious, but I would never use Gnome from choice.
>
> Neil

Well I fired up Kubuntu Jaunty (KDE 4) and I couldn't connect to the
wireless at first (I did manage to fix that), KMail wouldn't connect to
my mail server.  I just haven't got the patience at the moment to mess
around with it.  I know Gnome well so that's what I'm going back to.
That's not to say I won't have a better play with KDE4, I'll just fire
it up in a virtual machine.  I really do like some of the features of
KDE4 such as the way it fades but at the moment I need to get things
done and haven't got the time to learn a new desktop environment.
Saying that it is possible that KDE4 is just not very well implemented
in the Jaunty Alpha 4, I haven't tried it in Fedora or OpenSUSE yet,
that's something else I will have a look at.

I don't want to turn this into a Gnome vs KDE flame war, I know some
people prefer KDE over Gnome and some people prefer Gnome over KDE and
others prefer XFCE, Enlightenment, Fluxbox, FVWM etc, I'm just a fan on
Gnome myself.  The great thing about it is that we have a choice. I
think that if we do any Linux install days it's probably a good idea to
at least have a couple of distos so that anyone interested in switching
can try the distos out first and see what they like.  I installed Ubuntu
on the LTSP server because it's what I know.  I'm sure if anyone else
had done it they may have chosen Debian, K12LTSP or maybe even Gentoo.

Rob