Re: [LUG] MEET saturday

Neil Smith writes:
> Hi,
> I was going to attend on Saturday.
> I am new to the group and will be coming from Taunton, should anyone
> need a lift I will have some space in my car.
> I am not a programmer but a very keen computer user who works via the
> internet from my home. I was introduced to Ubuntu the other year but
> only had a very short time to look at it and no time to practice. I have
> installed it on my laptop but can't get it configured properly and don't
> really understand how it works, so don't use it.
> I was hoping that by joining the group and attending the meeting I might
> get my laptop set up properly, as I have no sound with Ubuntu, and would
> get to know how to use the various linux software as I have only ever
> used windows.
>
> Neil
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Just wondered who was actually going to the meet saturday,  apart from
>> myself,  I am still going
>>
>> Paul
>> - --
>> Paul Sutton
>> www.zleap.net
>> Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
>> http://www.odfalliance.org
>> Next Linux User Group meet : Feb 7th : 3pm,  Shoreline Cafe Paignton
>> Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

...I know this probably won't be of much help to you but I used a cover disk
of ubuntu from linux format megasine and it worked/is working with very
little configuration on my laptop. All I had to do was install some java
packages from synaptic to get youtube working.
   It shouldn't really be too dificul of a transition from Windows. What you
might require is a slight perceptual shift about what an OS is and how it's
licenced/developed and distributed though.
Cheers, JonDavey