Re: [LUG] netbooks blamed for microsoft losing money

Dave Foxcroft wrote:

> Is it any wonder why Linux has such a hard time making inroads when
> manufacturers like HP do such a bad job in attempting to tout it to joe
> public- It makes me wonder if this isn't a deliberate act on thier part.

I've wondered the same thing. This isn't the first "Linux Laptop" that
HP have shipped which didn't have drivers for the devices installed.

Not shipping drivers for all the hardware is unforgivable in my view.

I've given DELL a hard time for shipping really poor quality RAID
drivers in some of their old Redhat 9 servers, but they did work out of
the box (after a fashion).

If the hardware didn't work with the shipped software send it back as
not fit for purpose. Make it a cost item for HP (or their distributors).

What is your objection to SLED 10? Other than the driver issues? Or is
that sufficient? I never really go on with YAST and such, but I always
thought Novell did a reasonable job, and kept things up to date (often
by paying for new stuff to be written).