Re: [LUG] Linux serving Windows machines...

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 15:09:03 +0000
Rob Beard wrote:

> SME Server from www.contribs.org will do the job as a combined
> e-mail/file server with domain authentication (and with a bit of
> tweaking I managed to get an Ubuntu box to authenticate to it).  It
> also supports roaming profiles and it has an easy(ish) to use web
> interface. It works fine with XP but I'm not sure about Vista, I
> presume that it requires encrypted passwords (I vaguely remember an
> old version of SME Server not supporting encrypted passwords only
> plaintext passwords but now with 7.4 it works fine with XP without
> any changes to XP).
>
> Doing a search to see if it'll work on SME Server I came across
> this...
>
> http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,38239.0.html
>
> and this...
>
> http://www.builderau.com.au/blogs/codemonkeybusiness/viewblogpost.htm?p=339270746
>
> By the sounds of things, the second link might actually be what you
> need to do to the Vista boxes to get them to work with Debian & Samba.
>
> HTH
>
> Rob

Thanks Rob.

It's been a while since I played around with E-Smith as it was then.
Just installed in a VM and playing with it now.  It looks good.  If I
can sort out the Vista thing, then I am sorely tempted to go with this.

Shame it's not Debian based.  That'd be excellent then! ;D

Cheers.
Grant.