Re: [LUG] creating packages

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 08:48:58 +0000
Dave Berkeley <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm trying to update some machines with some home grown software. I've not
> created packages before. They are Ubuntu machines, so .deb. Actually making
> the .deb package doesn't seem that difficult.

Use debian-mentors to get advice on converting a hacked package into a
proper package.

http://mentors.debian.net/

> Any thoughts on the best way of handling modifications to existing config files?
> eg. you might want to edit a single line in /etc/modprobe.d/options without
> losing modifications to the rest of the file.

Umm, don't. You don't meddle with config files belonging to other
packages, that is why you have .d/ directories in the first place.

You must provide a complete replacement for the offending file and then
conflict with that package. The end result is that you also have to
provide all the functionality of the package because it will be removed
if the user chooses your package.

Alternatively, file a bug against the package concerned, asking for
some way of allowing the alteration under particular circumstances -
remember that the results must be in accordance with Debian Policy and
other Debian requirements of the package. One way to do this is to get
the package already in Debian to use debconf so that the user can be
asked which alternative to use (and you can pre-seed that answer so
that you always get the option you want). Remember though, Debian is
still in freeze and debconf changes are out of the question until after
the Lenny release.

Which package is this? What is the change?

> Does anyone have experience with this, or know any good tools to use? I need
> automated updates, and I mustn't break existing configurations.

As a Debian Developer I have a variety of experience on this.
;-)

--

Neil Williams