Re: [LUG] forum?

On Friday 30 January 2009 14:40, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 29/01/2009 11:01, Martijn Grooten wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > If your forum is small enough and your anti-spam measure is unique
> > enough, you'll keep most of the spammers out, just because it won't be
> > viable enough for them to break it. Unique enough means asking users a
> > question such as 'What is the name of the Linux penguin?' or 'What is
> > the capital of Cornwall?' combined with something that forbids them to
> > post more than one URL per post (or, if the forum is only open to
> > registered users, any URL unless they have posted more than 10 posts
> > already).
>
> /Puts on flame retardant jacket... Cornwall has a capital? :-)  Didn't
> realise, I was to busy sampling the cider when I went there on holiday
> last May.
>
> >> Why is it that many a Google search gets to a forum question without an
> >> answer? Could it be that people don't have time to write answers
> >> because they are busy moderating?
> >
> > No, it's because forums don't work as well to create communities.
> > They're ideal to join, post your question and only come back to check
> > answers to your own post, which is what many people do. And which is
> > why I don't think DCGLUG should become a forum.
>
> That can be so frustrating too.  I often find when I'm searching for
> something on Google it'll come up with a post on something like the
> Linux Questions forum or the Ubuntu forum where someone has asked a
> question but never gets a reply. :-(
Thats a generic problem with the web - too much unorganised info.
There is a lunatic at large trying to get a thing called the semantic web off
the ground but all he ever did before was invent a thing called the internet
and is generally ignored as a result.
I have the missfortune of tending to agree with him tho - data is just noise
unless its organised and classified. Unfortunately 20 years of Office has
left us in the state where no data is classified and organised - its put into
'documents' and sent to someone else to classify and ignore.
Big money in it tho - ask Bill!
Tom te tom te tom