Re: [LUG] forum?

> Many years ago there was a fairly active group doing point to point
> wireless connections to overcome the telephone providers deliberate
> dragging of feet. It might be worth resurrecting that completely
> decentralised approach - grid networking etc to prevent the million SPOF's
> that are built into the system at the moment. At least as a backup, and
> also to sent the message to others that the cat is out of the bag and it
> isnt going back in.
> Tom te tom te tom

This is easy to do with WiFi equipment. When BT were slow in bringing
broadband to rural areas, I was surprised that more people didn't set up their
own WiFi links. We can still do this. However, with mobile broadband muscling
in, the incentive is lower, and we are pushed back into dependence on the
telcos.

When I see churches in rural areas, I see a big communications tower (you can
hide a wifi antenna very easily), with a big south facing roof, ideal for solar
panels. Perhaps the church should set up it's own power and communications
network? Microgen and microcomms for rural communities.